Bare Root Hedging & Trees
This year, as always, we had a wide selection of bare root options to choose from, offering exceptional value – particularly for those looking to plant in large numbers, to create a hedge or group of trees while dormancy dominates… and before ‘growing power’ is revived in the garden once more, next spring.
As one of the few things that is good to plant as temperatures plummet and ‘growing power’ dwindles in the garden, bare root also gives you the most from every penny spent! Bare root single whips and pots of 10s are available in a number of varieties during bare root season. From Birch to Beech, Poplar to Privet, there’s a new growing project waiting to be taken on, at a very affordable price!
It never hurts to try and remove the ‘fear factor’ so many of us have when it comes to bare root, so here goes…
- The wallet won’t be as light after your bare root purchases as it would be after equivalent pot grown purchases
- A frustrating time in the garden? Bored during the cold, dark winter days? Bare root can cure your boredom! For planting when there’s little else to plant.
- Variety is the spice of life and you’ll almost certainly find a greater range of bare root options to choose from, than pot grown equivalents. Many bare root options simply aren’t available to buy in any other form.
- Save your muscles a workout as you move and transport bare root plants with ease. Space savers and weight savers, bare root certainly is the ‘no hassle’ option.
- You may think a container grown plant would stand a better chance of taking off more quickly than its bare root equivalent, when in fact the opposite is true. The roots don’t have to make the transition from container soil to local soil with the bare root version. (Note, this is why all of our plants are potted into soil based compost – makes for a much smoother transition). Being planted in dormancy, they also have the advantage of several weeks root growth before their container counterparts are planted in spring.
Go on…give bare root a go! See below for a full list of the stock we had this year during bare root season (winter months) – a similar range can be found here at the garden centre every year.
AVAILABLE AS SINGLE WHIPS (£ each)
(NOTE – ONLY IN BARE ROOT SEASON IN THE WINTER MONTHS FROM AROUND DECEMBER TIME EACH YEAR)
Acer campestre (Field Maple) £2.25
Alnus glutinosa (Common Alder) £2.25
Alnus incana (Grey Alder) £2.25
Amelanchier canadensis (Shadbush) £2.25
Betula pendula (Silver Birch) £2.75
Cornus Ivory Halo (Dogwood) £1.80
Cornus mas (Cornelian Cherry) £2.25
Cornus stolonifera Flavirama (Dogwood) £1.80
Fagus sylvatica (Green Beech) £2.95
Fagus sylvatica Purpurea (Purple Beech) £3.50
Hippophae rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) £2.25
Poplar hybrid £1.00
Poplar alba (White Poplar) £2.75
Populus candicans aurora £2.50
Populus italica (Lombardy Poplar) £2.75
Prunus avium (Wild Cherry) £2.75
Prunus cerasifera (Cherry Plum) £2.75
Prunus spinosa (Blackthorn) £2.25
Quercus robur (Common Oak) £2.25
Rosa canina (Dog Rose) £2.25
Sambucus nigra (Elderberry) £2.25
Sambucus nigra aurea (Golden Elderberry) £2.25
Sorbus aucuparia (Mountain Ash) £2.25
Taxus baccata (Yew) £3.50
Tilia cordata (Small Leaved Lime) £3.00
Viburnum opulus (Guelder Rose) £2.25
AVAILABLE IN POTS OF 10
Corylus avellana (Hazel) £17.50
Cratageus monogyna (Hawthorn) £17.50
Fagus sylvatica (Green Beech) £22.50
Lingustrum ovalifolium (Green Privet) £17.50
Lingustrum ovalifolium Aureum (Golden Privet) £17.50
Prunus spinosa (Blackthorn) £17.50
Rosa rugosa (Ramans Rose) £17.50
Primocane and Floricane raspberry canes are available in pots of five, at the unchanged price of £7.95 this year. There are a number of different varieties available. Floricane or summer fruiting raspberries, produce flowers and fruit on the second year’s/last year’s growth, while Primocanes produce fruit later, in the autumn, on the current season’s growth. Planting out a combination of different floricane and primocane raspberries can give you a long crop of delicious raspberries, staggered over the entire fruiting season!